Probably one of the first hair styling tools you ever owned was a curling iron. In fact, if you went to high school in the early nineties, a curling iron was essential in order to create those sky high bangs that were so popular. Do you remember how you choose what curling iron you should use back then? Probably not, but I would bet that you didn’t choose your curling iron based on how good it would be for your hair. In fact, it hasn’t been until recently that hair styling tools have actually benefited hair. However, there are a few things that you should keep in mind when you are looking for a curling iron, because they have come along way since you first started using them.
If you are thinking about getting a curling iron, don’t make the mistake that they are only good for curling your bangs up to great heights. Curling irons are useful for so much more than that. If you have always wanted wavy, sexy curls, then a curling iron is the perfect tool for you. Or maybe it’s tight, spiral curls you’re looking for? A curling iron is also the tool of choice for you.
Be sure when you are looking for a curling iron to choose the barrel width that’s right for the style you want to achieve. Because curling irons come in a wide variety of barrel sizes, from ¾” up to 2” barrels. If you are looking for tight curls, choose the smaller curling iron barrel size. But if loose waves are your thing, you’ll want the larger barrel. It’s important to note that if you have short hair, you should not choose large barrel sizes, they are only useful on longer hair. Shorter hair does better with smaller barrel sizes as they are easier to negotiate on short hair. If you have medium length hair and want to have some versatility when you style, you may want to consider a 1” barrel size because they are the most versatile and you can create quite a bit of style with this size.
Another consideration when you are choosing a curling iron is the material of the barrel. Look for a ceramic curling iron because ceramic is an excellent material choice. Ceramic is known for conducting heat evenly and quickly so you do not need to worry about any hot spots developing on your iron which will burn your hair. Ceramic also smoothes your hair as it styles, so your hair will not look frizzy or over treated.
Other features to look for in a curling iron include ionic technology which actually locks in natural moisture and oils to make hair look healthier than before. Silver technology is also a great feature, because the silver kills bacteria and germs that may be in your hair or on your styling tool so that your hair can stay as healthy as possible.
Curling irons have come along way since your early styling days, so take the time to research a quality hair styling tool before you make the investment.
When it comes to our hair, women all too often want what we don’t have. Lucky for us there are excellent tools available to help us achieve exactly what we crave. One of the most popular hair styling tools available is the curling iron. Curling irons are popular with women of all ages because you can achieve all types of styles and they are fairly simple to use.
A curling iron should be a staple of every woman’s hair care tool box. So when it comes to choosing a curling iron you will want to carefully consider your options and weigh the pros and cons of each one. After all, when it comes to style you want the best tool for the job and for your hair. Take a look at the following considerations when it comes to choosing an iron for you.
1) Price. Obviously the price of the curling iron is going to be a factor to consider before you purchase. And the price can range from drugstore cheapies around $10 to very high end irons which go for over $100. Remember however that price should not be the only consideration. Like with most things, you get what you pay for with a curling iron so be sure to balance the price point with the other features before you make your decision.
2) How much are you going to use the curling iron? This seems like a simple question; however it’s a very valid point. You may not want to break the bank if you’re only going to curl your hair for special occasions. Likewise, if you are professional stylist and plan on using your curling iron every day, you are going to need an iron that will stand up to repeated use and has a warranty.
3) Size does matter. What type of curl are you trying to create? Is there a particular style that you are hoping to achieve? The size of the curling iron barrel determines the tightness of the curl. If you want loose sexy waves, a bigger barrel- around 2” is probably what you are looking for. If you are trying to create ringlets or tight spiral curls, you will want a much smaller barrel – around ¾”.
Also the length of your hair will largely determine what size of curling iron barrel you choose. If you have long hair, it can handle a larger barrel size but using a 2” barrel on short hair just wouldn’t make sense. 1” barrels are probably the most common size for a curling iron, and are good for most lengths of hair.
4) Heat it up. Pay attention to the heat settings on curling irons. Some of the cheaper models will only have one setting, while others will have an adjustment. Look for a model where you can adjust the heat settings. This is important because not all hair was created equally. If you have thick or coarse hair you will likely need an iron that can be heated to a higher temperature of 180 to 200 degrees. However, if you have thin or damaged hair, a cooler temperature of 150 degrees will be all you need. An iron is useless if it burns your hair, or doesn’t get hot enough to create a curl.
5) Material madness. One of the most important features of a curling iron is what it is made of. The two most common types of curling iron materials are metal and ceramic. Metal curling irons are generally the cheaper of the three however they will often burn or damage hair if you use it every day and they may come with fewer features. A Ceramic curling iron is a better choice for protecting your hair and keeping it looking good. They are more expensive, however if you plan on using your curling iron frequently, these are definitely the curling irons to choose. They will maintain a constant even heat and will keep your hair looking smooth and healthy while styled.
With so many different things to consider, choosing a curling iron can seem like a big task. But don’t let it overwhelm you. Simply weigh all of the factors, until you determine what is most important for you and your hair.