Recently at a ladies’ getaway weekend I had the opportunity to talk about hair styles with my girlfriends and then witness the transformation between day and night time hair styles. It was very interesting to learn that some of the ladies I was with, didn’t believe in using their hair tools for daily use, only for going out at night, or for special occasions. I was shocked, because I use my hair straightener every day.
When I asked why they saved their hair irons and curling irons only for special occasions, there were two main answers: 1) they thought that frequent use of their tools would damage their hair, and 2) they thought it was special if they reserved the looks that hair tools gave them for nights out.
I argued against both of these points, and I’ll share them with you as well because I’m pretty sure they’re common misconceptions.
The first point, that hair tools will damage your hair if you use them daily, is absolutely false, unless of course you are using cheap, low quality hair tools and if this is the case, you need to value yourself and your hair much more. High quality, professional quality hair tools will not damage your hair if you use them frequently. In fact, ceramic hair tools infuse your hair with moisture giving it a shiny, healthy look and if you choose hair tools with tourmaline, the negative ions will seal each hair cuticle allowing your hair to lay flat against your head, protecting it from damage and a bad case of the frizzies.
If you do use a low quality, inexpensive hair tool that uses metal plates or a metal barrel, you may burn your hair because there are hot spots, or snag or pull your hair causing it to rip and tear. So the answer to this question is, if you use a good quality, ceramic hair tool, you will not damage your hair, even if you style it everyday.
For the second argument, that they wanted to save their special hair looks for night time or going out, I have to argue. Hair tools are great at creating both day time looks and fancier and more sophisticated evening looks. Just because you’re headed to the office, or driving your kids to school, should you look as if you don’t care about yourself? Absolutely not! Every day should be an occasion and an excuse to do your hair. Obviously, if you want to keep it simple during the day, use your straightener to flatten your hair out and give it a sleek look. When it’s time to go out for that special date, or a nice dinner, take your straightener and give yourself a few sassy curls, or some flips out for the ends of your hair. You can use your hair tools to create versatile looks that are good for both day and night.
In my opinion, if you are going to invest in a professional hair iron or curling iron, get your use out of it. Use it every day and experiment with some fabulous styles for when you go out at night or for that special dinner with your husband. Everyone deserves to look fabulous every day!
When it comes to our hair, women all too often want what we don’t have. Lucky for us there are excellent tools available to help us achieve exactly what we crave. One of the most popular hair styling tools available is the curling iron. Curling irons are popular with women of all ages because you can achieve all types of styles and they are fairly simple to use.
A curling iron should be a staple of every woman’s hair care tool box. So when it comes to choosing a curling iron you will want to carefully consider your options and weigh the pros and cons of each one. After all, when it comes to style you want the best tool for the job and for your hair. Take a look at the following considerations when it comes to choosing an iron for you.
1) Price. Obviously the price of the curling iron is going to be a factor to consider before you purchase. And the price can range from drugstore cheapies around $10 to very high end irons which go for over $100. Remember however that price should not be the only consideration. Like with most things, you get what you pay for with a curling iron so be sure to balance the price point with the other features before you make your decision.
2) How much are you going to use the curling iron? This seems like a simple question; however it’s a very valid point. You may not want to break the bank if you’re only going to curl your hair for special occasions. Likewise, if you are professional stylist and plan on using your curling iron every day, you are going to need an iron that will stand up to repeated use and has a warranty.
3) Size does matter. What type of curl are you trying to create? Is there a particular style that you are hoping to achieve? The size of the curling iron barrel determines the tightness of the curl. If you want loose sexy waves, a bigger barrel- around 2” is probably what you are looking for. If you are trying to create ringlets or tight spiral curls, you will want a much smaller barrel – around ¾”.
Also the length of your hair will largely determine what size of curling iron barrel you choose. If you have long hair, it can handle a larger barrel size but using a 2” barrel on short hair just wouldn’t make sense. 1” barrels are probably the most common size for a curling iron, and are good for most lengths of hair.
4) Heat it up. Pay attention to the heat settings on curling irons. Some of the cheaper models will only have one setting, while others will have an adjustment. Look for a model where you can adjust the heat settings. This is important because not all hair was created equally. If you have thick or coarse hair you will likely need an iron that can be heated to a higher temperature of 180 to 200 degrees. However, if you have thin or damaged hair, a cooler temperature of 150 degrees will be all you need. An iron is useless if it burns your hair, or doesn’t get hot enough to create a curl.
5) Material madness. One of the most important features of a curling iron is what it is made of. The two most common types of curling iron materials are metal and ceramic. Metal curling irons are generally the cheaper of the three however they will often burn or damage hair if you use it every day and they may come with fewer features. A Ceramic curling iron is a better choice for protecting your hair and keeping it looking good. They are more expensive, however if you plan on using your curling iron frequently, these are definitely the curling irons to choose. They will maintain a constant even heat and will keep your hair looking smooth and healthy while styled.
With so many different things to consider, choosing a curling iron can seem like a big task. But don’t let it overwhelm you. Simply weigh all of the factors, until you determine what is most important for you and your hair.