Blake Lively, star of Gossip Girl, looks fabulous with her large, shiny bouncy curls and according to Cosmo Magazine, is one of the top requested celebrity hairstyles.
How to get Blake Lively’s Curly Hairstyle;
- Apply a heat protectant to damp hair.
- Using a large paddle brush to lift your roots from the scalp and blow dry until roots are completely dry.
- Using a round brush, smooth and dry 2 inch sections of hair with your hair dryer until all of your hair is dry.
- Finally, using a large sized curling iron, curl medium sized sections of hair and hold until hair feels hot.
- Release hair and immediately curl up the section with your fingers and secure it to your scalp using a bobby pin.
- Once all hair has been curled and pinned, take pins out and using your fingers or wide tooth comb, separate curls.
- For extra shine, try a finishing gloss such as Aveda Brilliant Emollient Finishing Gloss which also works to smooth hair while adding major shine.
2010 hairstyle trends include lots of volume, 50′s inspired styles, braids of all sorts as well as sleek ponytails.
The bob hairstyle is still a hot hairstyle trend for 2010 however this year it gets a little edgier also, shoulder length bobs are making a hit.
Smooth, sleek hair of all lengths will also be seen a lot in 2010 and creating smooth, shiny strands is simple using a flat iron.
Create soft, smooth waves using your curling iron and this year make sure you have a set of hot rollers on hand to pump up the volume in your hair and add movement and texture.
For inspiration you can check out 2010 Celebrity Hairstyles for the latest in hair trends.
Fergie is looking pretty good on the Dec. 2009 issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine! Her hair looks shiny and smooth yet with a touch of rocked out waves.
- Apply an anti frizz styling product to damp hair and blow dry hair using a diffuser. If your hair is curly, straighten it as you dry it.
- Part hair slightly off center.
- Using a large barreled curling iron, curl random sections of hair. Leave out the ends of hair so that they go in different directions.
- Flip head over and lightly brush out curls with your fingers so that you have waves.
- Using a texturizing balm mix it with a pea sized amount of shine serum and work through strands of hair to create shiny, piecey waves. Smooth roots with the excess product on your hands being careful not to apply too much product at the roots as too much will make hair look oily.
*photo courtesy of cosmopolitan.com
Sleek, shiny hair is easy to obtain with the right hair styling products and a professional hair straightener. Follow these simple steps for soft, glossy, touch me strands.
1. Apply an anti frizz thermal protector to damp hair and distribute evenly by combing over hair with a wide tooth comb.
2. Using your blow dryer, with a directional nozzle, blow dry hair sections of hair, keeping the nozzle pointed downwards to keep hair smooth. If you have wavy or curly hair, use a round brush to help smooth out hair as you blow dry. Once hair is dry, go over your hair using the cool shot button to help further smooth out your hair.
3. Clip the top and side sections of your hair up so that you can start with the back sections of your hair.
4. Taking sections 1 inch at a time, using your flat iron, slowly glide the iron down the section of your hair. Going slowly over your hair will not only keep you from going over and over the same section, but this also alows the heat to better penetrate your hair and smooth out locks.
Use the highest heat setting recommeneded for your hair as the higher the heat, the smoother your hair will be. Repeat this step until the back section of hair is done, working your way to the sides and then the top sections of your hair.
5. Once you have straightened all of your hair, take a polishing gloss or shine serum and distribute evenly over all of your hair. Remember, start out with less, as you can always add more, using too much shine serum can cause hair to look oily.
* If you have wavy or curly hair you may want to use a flexile hold hairspray to help lock in your sleek, shiny hairstyle!
1. Towel dry your hair by patting hair, avoid rubbing as this causes frizz and damage to the hair.
2. Apply desired hair styling product, a heat protectant is a must to keep hair healthy!
3. For best results, use an Ionic Hair Dryer, without the nozzle. On the high heat and medium speed settings, lift your hair using your fingers while you dry your roots. As you glide your fingers from the roots to the ends of your hair, follow with your blow dryer. Do this until your roots are mostly dry and your ends are slightly damp.
4. To smooth the sides of your hair, part your hair horizontally two inches from the back hairline and clip up the front section so it is out of your way. Put your nozzle back on your hair dryer and set your hair dryer to the high heat and speed setting.
5. Using a round hair brush pull sections about 3 inches wide out to the side and wrap the ends of your hair around the hair brush and hold hair in place using your thumb. Making sure the nozzle is pointed downwards at all times, run the hair dryer up and down the section of hair.
6. To add volume to your hair, unclip the front section of your hair and starting at the front of your head, place the round brush under your hair and pull the section straight up and then roll hair back towards the scalp following with your hair dryer. Hold for a few seconds and then unroll. Repeat this step until the front section of your hair is dry.
7. To set hair and make hair smooth and shiny, put your blow dryer on the cool setting and go over all of your hair.
All too often, there is too much focus placed on styling your hair and having it look good when you head out for the day. And of course that is important, you want to look good when you face the day, but there needs to be more attention placed on how to take care of your hair in between styling.
If you don’t have healthy looking hair, it’s not going to look good when it’s styled either. No matter how much effort you put into your hair while you’re styling it, it is not going to look good if it’s dry, damaged and frizzy. So put the extra effort into making your hair healthy and keeping it healthy.
When you have healthy hair, it looks shiny and this isn’t just your imagination. Your hair looks shiny because for healthy hair, the cuticle on the hair shaft is closed which means it lays flat against the head and reflects the light. For damaged and dry hair, the cuticle is open which means the hair is standing up away from the head and is not able to reflect the natural light. Healthy hair also holds on to it’s own natural moisture and oils allowing the hair to look shiny and smooth.
In order to keep your hair healthy and smooth, you must wash it regularly with a quality shampoo. Do not use anything too harsh or it will strip the natural oils from your hair as well as the build up of product. Ask your stylist for a good recommendation of a shampoo for you. Every hair type has different needs, and you need to be sure that you are using a shampoo that is strong enough to get your hair clean, but not too strong to damage it.
How often you wash your hair will also depend on you, your hair and your styling habits, If you naturally have oilier hair, or use a great deal of products every day, you may want to wash it every day. However people who have drier hair will strip their natural moisture if they wash their hair too frequently.
Never brush your hair when it’s wet, it will pull, tear and break your hairs. Comb through gently with a wide toothed comb and then when your hair is damp or dry you can brush it out. Be sure that you use quality hair tools on your hair that will not burn or over dry your hair. Choose hair straighteners that have titanium or ceramic plates, and look for curling irons that have ceramic barrels. These two materials will not burn your hair or pull or tug like cheaper materials. Look for hair dryers and other tools that utilize the power of tourmaline for added efficiency and care of your hair.
When you take care of your hair between styling and use the right tools when it’s time to create a beautiful style you will have healthier more beautiful hair as a result. And isn’t that what we’re all looking for?
It you have been paying any attention to the latest news and development with hair styling tools you will have heard the term –tourmaline. Tourmaline is the latest in styling developments and hair straighteners with tourmaline have become the latest and greatest tool to have in your arsenal.
What exactly is tourmaline? Tourmaline is a mineral that occurs naturally in the environment. In its natural state, tourmaline is a beautiful crystal formation that is quite striking. The great thing about tourmaline is that it is a natural source of negative ions and when it becomes heated it reacts by emitting those negatively charged ions.
So why is tourmaline used in hair straighteners? That’s a great question. Because tourmaline is a source of negatively charged ions it emits those negative ions when it’s heated. Because a hair straightener is a source of heat, there are a great deal of negative ions emitted. Those negative ions are extremely beneficial to the hair because they actually enter the hair shaft and smooth hair down.
Negative ions are responsible for creating healthy, beautiful and shiny hair. The negative ions affect your hair by keeping it straight longer, and by smoothing the hair shaft the hair looks not only straight, but healthy and shiny as well. So you don’t have to worry about that over processed, frizzy look that some hair straighteners give you.
The other great thing about tourmaline is that it dries and straightens your hair faster. Because of the concentration of negatively charged ions, the hair is straightened much faster which means less time in the styling chair which ultimately means your hair will be exposed to heat and styling tools for much shorter periods of time. Another great reason why a tourmaline flat iron is a great idea! If you don’t have to expose your hair to styling tools for long periods, it will stay healthier longer.
Hair straighteners with tourmaline are definitely the latest and greatest in hair styling technology and for good reason. If you are in the market for a hair iron that will straighten your hair while keeping it looking healthy and beautiful, you must check out an iron with tourmaline in it.
If you are new to the world of hair styling, or just exploring some new hair styling tools for the first time you may be confused about the terms that are frequently used. For example, what’s the difference between a hair straightener and a hair iron? When you’re searching for hair tools, you will frequently run across both of these terms used almost interchangeably.
The truth is, there’s no real difference. Generally, the terms hair straightener and hair iron can be used fairly interchangeably. However, a lot of the term usage may determine on the region that you live, or simply personal preference. Some people prefer to use the term hair straightener because that is the primary use for the tool. However, it may be a limiting term because the tool can do so much more than straighten.
Hair straighteners, or hair irons can also loosely curl, flip ends in or out and create a number of different styles. To call such a versatile hair tool a straightener may be limiting it to only one major purpose because the truth is that a hair straightener or iron is a multi use tool. Perhaps more so than the curling iron.
Ultimately, whether you call it a hair straightener or a hair iron, the tool does the same job and you must be prepared to research your purchase carefully before you invest in one. Look for a hair straightener that is made of ceramic or titanium plates and that utilizes the power of tourmaline for the most effective styling power out there.
By taking the time to research your hair styling tools, you will be making the best possible investment in your hair and your styling efforts which will result in gorgeous, healthy and shiny hair that is beautifully styled every time.
If you have never used a hair straightener before, you might be a little bit overwhelmed by getting the look just right. Professional hair stylists make it look so easy when you are sitting there in the salon, but when you get home it can be very tricky trying to handle the iron, and the spray at the same time. Not to mention the combs and brushes.
So is there a simple way to achieve the straight hair that you want? Absolutely. All it takes is a little know how and some practice. Before you even attempt to style your hair like the professionals, you need the proper tools. You will need a blow dryer, preferably one with ionic technology because it will dry your hair faster and with less damage. You will also need a hair straightener, if you’re looking for straight, shiny hair.
When you purchase a hair straightener, look for one with ceramic or tourmaline plates or a combination of both. These hair irons will give you the best result and will not damage your hair like cheaper irons made with glass or metal plates. Using a hair straightener that is poor quality is only frustrating because it will not work as effectively and it will damage your hair in the long run.
Before you can attempt to straighten your hair, it must be dry. Comb out your hair to remove any large tangles with a wide toothed comb. Never brush wet hair, it only damages and pulls your hair resulting in broken hairs. Aim your blow dryer down, to close the hair cuticle as you dry. This will help your hair lay flatter and look smoother. Once your hair is dry, you can begin the straightening process.
It is usually a good idea to use a thermal spray on your hair as you are styling it. A thermal spray will give your hair added protection and will help your hair look its best, resulting in shiny, healthy looking hair. Be sure however that you only use a light mist of the product instead of a heavy spray. If you apply it too heavily it will feel sticky and look clumpy which is not the look you are after.
Divide your hair into sections for easier styling. Always start at the back, with the undermost side of hair. Mist the hair lightly with the spray and take a small section in your hand. Some people like to use a comb while they straighten, but others find this clumsy. It’s up to your preference. Starting at the crown of your head, clamp the iron over the hair and very gently slide the iron down the length of your hair. Depending on the thickness of your hair and how much hair you put in the iron at once will depend on how long you need to hold the iron on the hair.
Continue straightening each section around your head, remembering to apply the thermal spray before each pass of the iron. Finish at the front of your head. When you are done, you may want to apply a straightening balm that will provide shininess and smooth out any bits of hair that are sticking up.
The final result is beautiful smooth, straight hair that looks and feels healthy and beautiful. If you want flips and curls in your hair as well, you can achieve that with your hair straightener as well, but that’s a lesson for another day.
If you have never used a hair straightening iron to remove even the kinkiest curls from your hair you will surely be surprised with just how quick and easy it is. Hair straightener tools are designed to be not only efficient at removing those curls, but also these professional hair irons will not damage your hair if used properly. Ceramic hair irons heat up quickly and in less than ten minutes you can have that sleek shiny hair that so many want to have today. It is simply a matter of slowly taking the hair iron down through your hair from root to tip.